Nerd Camp

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Adventures With Male Nerdlets

Heat plan today! My girls weren’t just being whiners when they complained about the heat yesterday; the predicted high for almost every day this week is in the triple digits, and when combined with ridiculous Baltimore humidity that means it is face-meltingly hot outside. Since it’s so close to the end of session they just stuck all the kids in a movie with minimal supervision, and had the remaining RAs (myself included) get a head start on cleaning and packing up the RA supply room. This is basically an empty dorm room that is entirely filled with construction paper, scissors, pipecleaners, soccer balls, leis, clipboards, modge podge, hammers, felt, coloring books, glitter glue, board games, and about a million other random things that make nerd camp go round. It’s a good thing we started on it today, because we don’t go home on Saturday until everything is packed up and in storage.

Today was also the day that the hall that won me in the auction got me as their RA. This afternoon I visited them in class (they’re all in genetics), and they showed me the cool glow in the dark bacteria they made yesterday. I also ran their hall meeting and hung out on their hall with them until lights out, and since they’re a boy hall they were really excited about me being there. They were all quiet and attentive during hall meeting, and they got really excited when I did Highs and Lows with them (one said, “aww, our RA doesn’t do this because he doesn’t love us”). Several of them gave me being there as their high, and at one point when things were moving quickly one of them yelled out “Slow down! I want this to last longer!” The difference between them and my girls was very striking; when my girls give their highs and lows I usually have to push things along or each of them would spend ten minutes going into all the details of her exchange with some boy and how it made her feel, but most of these boys gave some version of “low: the heat, high: lab” and were done. Also, after they went to bed I listened at their doors for awhile before I left, and some of them were having very hilarious conversations about girls they liked and how they were going to ask them to dance on the last night. There’s nothing better than young nerd love (as long as it doesn’t result in young nerd making out that I have to witness)!

CIMRs: 0
Thought: Overheard tonight: “It’s like she’s an exposed electrical wire, she makes me want to explode!”

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of young nerd love, M broke up with MG last night and he cried and cried and cried. I want to keep him secretly under my mommy wing until he recovers. Oh, well.

6:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a good wing. He'd appreciate it.

8:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home