Nerd Camp

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

CIMR Down Now

Some of you might be wondering what the point of filling out CIMRs is, so let me illustrate their purpose by recounting some events from the past week. There's a pair of roommates on my hall, let's call them Thelma and Louise, who are the only two of my girls I would actually consider "bad." Since they've been here I've filled out the following CIMRs on them:

1. Monday: Neither Thelma nor Louise were wearing their lanyards when they were on the hall, so they managed to lock themselves out while getting ready for bed despite being roommates. So at 10:40 I had to go all the way to the housing office to get their lockout key.

2. Wednesday: Yesterday Thelma and Louise came to breakfast at 8:30, when I was on duty outside the cafeteria. I told them breakfast ends at 8:30 and that I'd let them in this once, but to come earlier today. Today they arrived at 8:35, and when another RA told them that breakfast ended five minutes ago they said they didn't know.

3. Friday: At the dance, Thelma and Louise both took off their lanyards and hid them, and Louise was caught on numerous occasions by various RAs making out with a boy.

4. Today: Several of my girls have been late for lights out the past few days, so last night at hall meeting I reminded them that "lights out at 10:30" doesn't mean "start getting ready at 10:30" but "be ready and in your room at 10:30." I thought this was effective because all my girls were in their rooms with the doors closed at 10:28, but around midnight another RA came and got me to let me know Thelma and Louise were in the bathroom getting ready for bed (washing their faces, brushing their teeth, etc...). I had to go in and explain "lights out means be in bed and falling asleep," not "close your door and hang out with the lights off, then go to bed when you feel like it."

Additionally, they are always the last ones ready when we go somewhere as a hall, and often show up at class about .5 seconds before they would be officially late. You can imagine that these two are not my favorite girls. I turned in the fourth CIMR around 12:30 am this morning, and when I came down to the office this morning at 7:30 I found the following note in my box:

Caroline,

I'd like to see Thelma and Louise in my office tomorrow morning before class.

-The Residential Dean

In case it isn't obvious, this means they are in trouble. I haven't broke the news to them yet because it's not going to be fun, but I'm hoping this meeting will actually make them shape up and not just make them resent me and be more disobedient. I'll let you know how it goes...

The late night toilette of my two hoodlums was actually only the first in a series of events that prevented me from sleeping much last night. After they were all disciplined and in bed I followed suit, only to be awoken about half an hour later by another one of my girls. Because, and I am not kidding, she was coughing. My suggestion of waiting until morning to see if it improved did not go over well so I ended up having to page the nurse to come give her some cough syrup, which made me feel bad because it was a pretty silly thing to wake the nurse up for. But even that wouldn't have been too bad because I had second shift scheduled presence this morning and was planning on sleeping in until 8:00, but around 7:15 there was another knock on my door; a fourth girl wanted to know if it was too late to change her activities signup for today. Yes, it was too late; both for her to change her activities and for me to get a full six hours of sleep. Why must these new girls be so much work?

Even though I was running on way less sleep than I prefer, today was actually a pretty good day. Mostly because as I was drifting off during my morning scheduled presence the girl I had last session who is also here this session came over and gave me a big hug for no reason other than the fact that she's awesome. Also, one of my activities today was "Random Acts of Kindness," in which I had the kids make friendly signs and hang them up around campus. So all afternoon/evening I've been seeing happy pictures with sayings like "Have a great day!" "Smile, somebody loves you!" and "You're beautiful!" on them. I don't really know why, but these signs make me really happy. I hope they're still up tomorrow...

CIMRs: 1
Thought: Check out the totally awesome CTY Wiki I found!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

(after looking at the CTY Wiki)

dude! I was there for the "squirrel" theory at Clinton '97! Oh man, I had forgotten the legendary ring associated with "Dwight Bussman" until now.

man I miss CTY. Sounds like it's a lot more exhilerating and carefree when you're 13...anyway, good luck with your girls!

2:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember this line: You have no one to blame but yourselves.

7:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home