Nerd Camp

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

The CTY Disease

As a parting gift, the first session kids gave nasty colds to about half a dozen RAs, which they were then generous enough to share with about half the remaining RAs over the past two weeks. As of two days ago almost everyone was better and I was still feeling fine, so I thought I was lucky and had avoided getting sick. But alas, yesterday morning I woke up with the dreaded Sore Throat. It wasn't too bad so I was still optimistic, but today it was worse and joined by its partners in crime, Congestion and Cough! So far the health office is keeping me on my feet with what we RAs have affectionately nicknamed "Crack in a Bottle", but since it took everyone else who got it about a week to recover I'm not looking forward to the next few days, especially since the weekend (which is the most work-intensive part of the week) is coming up soon...

Considering the fact that all I really want to do is curl up in a ball and sleep for eighteen hours straight, today was surprisingly not that bad. The kids really got a kick out of Everything You Ever Wanted To Do With Blue Pipecleaners And More, one even begged for me to offer it again tomorrow. Teen Girl Squad!!! was fun too, once all the girls who thought we were actually going to form some sort of squad (and do what?) got over their disappointment. That activity actually contained the highlight of my day: When I was hooking up my laptop to the TV so we could watch on the big screen all the little nerds felt compelled to yell out directions about what cable went where and what settings to adjust, despite the fact that I was doing it fine on my own and hadn't asked for help. I was still in a drug-induced haze so I was just ignoring them, but then this one kid yelled out "Shut up! She goes to MIT, she knows what she's doing!" I don't care if it isn't true, it was still awesome.

CIMRs: 0. I'm lazy.
Thought: Go go gadget immune system!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blue pipecleaners looks sublime! Measuring the quad with paperclips sounds Dickensian. Maybe you could combine them with blue pipecleaners for added bling.

5:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home