Nerd Camp

Friday, July 14, 2006

The Last Full Day

Today was the last full day of session, which means this morning we unveiled our secret surprise! Okay, maybe it's not that exciting since only five of us ended up doing it and you can hardly tell on me, but the kids thought it was cool and that's what counts!

To make the RAs happy and functional for the final ridiculous 24 hours they gave us off from 10:00 til 3:00. A group of us took the bus to the inner harbor and walked around for the afternoon. We ended up eating at an El Salvadorian restaurant, which was exciting because we were the only people there that spoke English. The food was delicious, and although I thought I ordered pineapple juice I ended up with a really good pina colada, so I was happy. We also went to a thrift store to go shopping for outfits for the final dance, and I ended up with the perfect dress for the occasion. I can't wait to wear it! Also, Baltimore is a good place to have my name.

Instead of regular activities today, the kids had two hours to clean up their rooms and pack all their stuff. Mine spent most of this time signing each other's yearbooks and getting ready for the dance, and they also drew me a picture of all the members of our hall and signed it so I could have a "yearbook" too. They all wrote really sweet things, like "I thought two years ago I had the best RA, but I've been proved wrong this year" and "Although the flowers I gave you will wilt and die, my love never will!" Awww...

After dinner was the last dance of the session, so in my awesome dress I set out with my hall for "A Starry Night" (we made up that theme so we could reuse the decorations from the last dance). Thanks to our secret surprise and our thrift store trip, I wasn't the only RA with a cool dress, cool hair, or just general coolness. Towards the end of the dance they announced the King and Queen RA (as voted upon by the kids), and guess who won! A bunch of the kids were disappointed that my brother RA wasn't the king, but since I've never been popular in my life I was super-excited! Too bad there were no crowns... The dance ended with playing American Pie, and by the end a bunch of the kids were in tears. It was pretty tough to watch them all hugging and crying knowing that after tomorrow they'll never see each other again. I don't even want to think about how hard the final goodbyes are going to be tomorrow...

CIMRs: 0. It doesn't really matter anymore.
Thought: This time tomorrow I'll be empty nesting...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've always been brilliantly popular with me. Also,all the other moms were secretly jealous, because anytime we got together,you were always the first kid that was inquired after. You were just playing to the wrong crowd at T.J. High. Delayed gratification can seem like a long time.

Time to stop endlessly fawning, right?

8:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home