Nerd Camp

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Mutiny on the Bounty

So I think the administration didn't realize the deeply held attachment to cross-dress day these kids have. Instead of having boys in skirts and girls in baggy clothes today, they had kids in warpaint with "Viva la Revolucion!" and "Fight the Man!" painted on themselves and a petition circulating amongst both the staff and the students to allow kids to wear whatever gender's clothing they choose. The most ridiculous part of the whole thing is that the people who are spearheading the protest are the people who are actually GLBT, the ones this policy is supposed to "help." I find it pretty absurd that this policy prevents offending hypothetical people at the expense of offending real ones. I don't think the battle of the cross-dressed sexes is over yet...

On a brighter note, as I walked into the room to start my first activity today I heard a girl say to her friend, "She's the one running this? Yay, she's so awesome!" Then during my second activity, "kindergarten games," the tiniest little Asian girl at the camp got called over during Red Rover. She looked a little nervous for a second, then she put her hand up to her forehead, stuck out a finger like a horn, and ran full force at the opposing line. When she actually broke through she responded to all the kids' shocked stares with a completely deadpan "Unicorn power, duh." And when my girls got back from their various activities they had a picture, a sign with my name on it, and some handpicked flowers for me between them. Even if the administration can be a pain, the kids still totally make this job worthwhile.

CIMRs: 0! I refuse to CIMR kids who are fighting for the right to wear clothes other than what society prescribes for their gender.
Thought: Fight the Man!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh man. These kids are awesome. You should tell them that if fighting an overbearing, incompetent administration is their sort of thing, they should definitely apply to MIT. Sounds like they're ready for it already...

11:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know this comment comes late, but frankly I think your red-rover story pales in comparison to Mariel's. In fact, the cross dressing revolution is on the dull side from this mom's perspective. Where's the NUDITY?

7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home