Nerd Camp

Monday, July 03, 2006

And then there were nine...oh wait, there's still eleven

Today started off totally ridiculous. During my breakfast scheduled presence I was approached first by the site director, who told me that my homesick girl's mother was on her way to get her and bring her home, and then five minutes later by a panicked group of my girls, who told me that one girl was sick and couldn't get out of bed. Fortunately by lunch the sick girl was back on her feet (she was just dehyrdrated, the health office fixed her up with some Gatorade and a nap) and the homesick girl had decided to stay, so nothing bad actually happened. But still, what a bad start to the week!

Also ridiculous was what happened to me at lunch today. I got to the cafeteria right before it closed, so I made up a tray of food, grabbed a drink, and headed out the door so I could eat it back in my room. Unfortunately, I didn't notice the puddle of water on the floor in front of me, so I had a totally spectacular feet-slip-out-from-under-me, tray-and-drink-fly-everywhere, land-really-hard-on-my-butt, get-pointed-and-laughed-at-by-nerdy-twelve-year-olds fall. I guess that ends my reign as one of the "cool" RAs.

AND as if enough awesome things hadn't already happened today, when all the kids were at study hall I went up to my room with the guy RA from my brother hall (which is allowed when the kids are at class) to get Apples to Apples and bring it to the lounge, and right as we were about to leave one of the girls came back to get something she forgot. Now we will never, ever be able to convince them that we are not an item.

But none of those things matter, because when my girls got back from study hall they slipped a handmade "postcard" under my door addressed to "Caroline; Best RA Street; Fantastic City, USA" that read:

Dear Caroline,
Thank you for being an understanding and patient RA. We all appreciate your peacemaking skills! We love you lots!

They all signed it and decorated with hearts (and two Jolly Ranchers stuck together). At the hall meeting they decided to all do an act together for the talent show this weekend, and afterwards they gave me a manicure. What more could anyone ask for?

CIMRs today: 2 (I thought this would be more interesting, but I guess I'm pretty consistent.)
Thought of the Day: What is a good use for 263 eggs? We bought 22 dozen for the Olympic Egg Relay expecting them all to get destroyed, but the kids only broke one. They sat out in the sun all day though, so they're probably not good to eat.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even the cool nerds fall on their butts in a terrific display of clumsiness SOMETIMES.

And if you can't beat 'em...

11:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, you definitely shouldn't try to beat them, by the way. Not that you have any real reason to. Yet.

11:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BEST FIRST SENTENCE EVER.
-- shax0r

3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home