Nerd Camp

Saturday, July 01, 2006

Success!

The Game Show Marathon went great! There was almost a disaster at the beginning when a bunch of the rooms we had reserved were locked, but thanks to the friendly JHU security staff we were able to get those stations up and running only about five minutes late. I was hosting Family Feud, and it was awesome! At first I had the two teams as the "Smiths" and the "Joneses," but the kids insisted I change them to the "Kims" and the "Schwartzes" to more accurately reflect the CTY student demographic. Throughout the day kids I don't even remember have been coming up to me and saying "Hey, you hosted Family Feud! That was awesome!" The only part I didn't like was when the "Name a Boy Band" question was up, because the number three answer (from a survey we gave to all the RAs) was "Boyz 2 Men" and the vast majority of the kids were totally clueless as to who they were. This job makes me feel old...

Speaking of feeling old, my "friend" from dinner scheduled presence a few days ago was back today at breakfast. Turns out he wants to ask me advice about a girl in his class that he likes, a relief that was quickly counteracted by his comment that "I feel like such a loser because I have to talk to an adult about it." Since we did I become an adult?? Nobody told me!

Today's evening activity was Movie Night, which was pretty relaxing. I got to watch half of Pirates of the Caribbean, then go outside and watch young nerd love blossom awkwardly on the quad. I also got to yell at a few of the little nerdy lovebirds about staying in well-lit, supervised areas, which was fun.

You know what else is fun? Confiscating iPods! The kids aren't allowed to have them outside the dorms, and usually I just tell them to put it away until later, but today I had to tell the same kid three different times to put it away and so I finally got fed up and confiscated it. The kid actually got down on his knees and begged me not to take it, it was amazing! Talk about a power high! Not that I'm becoming a ruthless tyrant or anything...

After movie night the camp guidance counselor asked me to come talk to her. Apparently one of my girls had been to see her earlier about a homesickness issue. At first I had hurt feelings because the girl hadn't come to me, but it turns out she didn't want to tell me about it because she was afraid it would make me think I'm a bad RA! I almost melted right there I was so touched, and when I next saw the girl I gave her a hug and had to make sure I didn't cry because I still can't believe that she would worry about my feelings over her own. How did I get such sweet girls? Hopefully this doesn't mean my girls next session will be terrible.

During hall free time tonight a bunch of the girls wanted to tell my fortune using this playing card method that they learned. I think it was rigged, because (surprise!) it predicted I'm going to marry the RA from our brother hall. All the girls were falling all over themselves giggling and "awwwww"-ing about this, and every time I insisted that they were making our "relationship" up they just became more convinced it was true. It was pretty cute, even if it was sort of ridiculous. I'm glad I'm not the guy RA though, apparently at his hall meeting his boys asked him if we'd had sex yet. What do you even say to that?! He ended up giving them all a lecture on respect and appropriate language. I think I would have had a hard time not bursting out laughing if one of my kids asked me that, which is probably not the appropriate response.

Once more the girls are asleep in a giant heap and full of chips and cookies, and once more I could not be more in love!

CIMRs today: 2
Thought of the Day: I get to sleep in until 10:00 tomorrow! I love Sundays!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha, your job sounds awesome.

12:23 AM  
Blogger Caroline said...

It is awesome!

9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"and once more I could not be more in love!"

With the other RA?!?!


Sorry, I couldn't resist.

1:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm just surprised that Boyz 2 Men won out over, I assume, 98degrees. Not because 98degrees is better, just more recent. Better? Come on now. Get real.

Yeah. Go me.

9:31 PM  
Blogger Caroline said...

If you're that interested, it was Backstreet Boys (12), N*Sync (5), 98degrees and Boyz 2 Men (2 each), then Fall Out Boy and New Edition (1 each). I'd never even heard of the last two, but then again, I'm not what you would call "hip."

11:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home